‘Junga’ was the capital of Erstwhile Keonthal State till 1948. ‘Mahasu’ District came in the existence in 1948, on the creation of Himachal Pradesh. Since 1949, ‘Junga’ continued to be District Police Lines of ‘Mahasu’ till 1960 and Police Training Centre of Himachal Pradesh Police. In 1960 ‘Mahasu’ Lines were shifted to Bharari (Bharatpur House) and the mounted Police of ‘Mahasu’ continued to be
at ‘Junga’. In 1962, during the aggression of Chinese, the Himachal Armed Police came into existence with its Headquarters at Junga. personnel were trained in batches here, who later on were sent to Districts Concerned for guarding vital points and Govt. In the early year of 1965, when the BSF was disbanded, HPP 1st Battalion was raised which was stationed and trained at Junga. During the aggression of Pakistan C.S.R.F. consisting of three Coys. was raised by the Govt. with Headquarter at Junga. This battalion was created vide H.P. Govt. Letter No. 17-66 (Home), dated 07-08-1971 and was subsequently christened as HPAP Battalion No.1 with its Hdqrs. at Junga, a historical and well known place as the capital of erstwhile famous “KEONTHAL STATE” at a distance of about 26 KMs from the State capital Shimla. Presently battalion is commanded by Sh. Bhagat Singh Thakur, IPS, assumed the charge on 17th Fabruary 2022.